Draft EHC plan


When the local authority has decided an EHC plan is necessary they will start to prepare a draft plan.

What can I do if the timescales are not met by the local authority?

There are legal timescales that local authorities are expected to comply with, however, our advice is to keep dialogue open with the local authority.

Ask your Family Services Co-ordinator when you will receive the draft/final plan. If you are unhappy a timescale has not been met you could complain to the local authority (LA), and/or to the Local Government Ombudsman (they will usually require you to have gone through the complaints process at the LA first).

Where an Educational Psychologist or other specialist recommends provision in their report, this could be put in place now ahead of the EHC plan being finalised. There may however be instances where a school will need to discuss additional funding with the LA in order to meet the needs. This is usually highlighted as part of the co-production meeting.


The SEND Code of Practice says:

"Decisions about the content of EHC plans should be made openly and collaboratively with parents, children and young people. It should be clear how the child or young person has contributed to the plan and how their views are reflected in it." (9.61)