Training for practitioners
We can offer INSET training for all school staff (including administrative and lunchtime supervisors) and for other practitioners working with families who have children with SEND. We also deliver regular training to governors throughout the year. We can offer twilight or PD day sessions across the county during the course of the academic year.
Frequently requested sessions include:
- SEND legislation, including the young person and parent voice.
- Effective communication with parents
- Promoting parental engagement with schools.
We can also design and deliver individual bespoke sessions within our remit of SEND and partnership working.
What practitioners have said about our training:
'Really useful session – with lots of very practical tips.' (SENCO)
'Thank you for a session full of reflection and ideas for managing meetings with parents.' (SENCO)
'Thank you. Very helpful and appropriate in my context in a special school in understanding parents’ viewpoint/perspective.' (SENCO)
'Very informative with practical ideas to implement in my practice.' (NQT)
'Lots of practical solutions to real situations. Thank you.' (NQT)
'Excellent delivery – clear points highlighted very effectively. Really beneficial. (NQT)
'Really helpful skills to enhance my practice.' (SENDCo)'Most thoughtfully presented training I have ever received.’ (Governor)'Practical training with clear outcomes.' (Teacher)
Workshops which schools ask us to deliver for their parents include:
- ‘Empower Your Child’ – practical strategies for supporting parents to help their children to seek help in school.
- 'Making Meetings Matter' - practical strategies for preparing for, and positively participating in, meetings and conversations with schools
- The process of SEND support in schools. This workshop aims to help families understand what they can reasonably expect in terms of support and to build positive partnership between families and schools.
We have been working closely with the Suffolk Parenting team to help build the independence and resilience of children and young people. We have recently co-delivered Joint Seminar sessions in schools where parents receive a Triple P parenting seminar, followed by our Empower Your Child workshop.
This year we are co-delivering a workshop for NQTs where we explore positive communication with parents, reasons for emotional distress and practical strategies for helping manage these.
We aim to develop our training offer for staff, and also for young people with SEND in schools, and are keen to hear from you.
Please contact us if you have a training need you would like to discuss.