Moving schools

There are circumstances where you may want to move your child to a new school during the school year, or at the start of the school year but in a different age group from the school’s normal year of entry.

Suffolk County Council co-ordinates the offer of school places to all community and voluntary controlled schools.  However, for in-year applications for voluntary aided, foundation, free schools and academies you will need to apply to schools directly.

Academies and free schools must have regard to the School Admissions Code and the  SEND Code of Practice.

The SEND Code of Practice 2015 says:

“Where a child or young person has SEN but does not have
an EHC plan they must be educated in a mainstream setting except in specific circumstances:

Admissions authorities:

  • must consider applications from parents of children who have SEN but do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school’s published admissions criteria as part of normal admissions procedures
  • must not refuse to admit a child who has SEN but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs
  • must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan” (1.27)

You can apply for an in-year school place even if you think that the year group you wish to apply for is full.  You will have the right of appeal should your application be unsuccessful. 

School admissions have some useful information including a information on moving to a different school

What if we have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan?

If you want your child to move schools you should let the local authority know so they can consult with your chosen school. Usually this would be during Annual Review.

If you are concerned about the provision or school named in a plan you can request the review be brought forward. Read more about Annual Reviews.

If you are seeking a place at a special school see question 10 on our Frequently Asked Questions page.


Choosing a school for a child with SEND

Download ‘Choosing a school for a child with SEND’ leaflet